Years ago, while visiting my 70+ yr old grandfather, I was walking thru the living room of their house when I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of what can only be described as almost convulsive movement in my grandfather's office. Now, in regular circumstances that might be a bit concerning...but at your grandfather's house it's more along the line of distressing. I immediately turned and went toward his office.
As I got closer I could see he was fine, but it wasn't immediately clear what he was doing. He was kicking his feet up in the air at the same time he was throwing his arms up and to the right. Almost afraid to ask I gathered up enough courage "Grandad, what are you doing?" No sooner did I get the words out of my mouth when I heard the music from the television and recognized the Mario Brothers theme song.
While I didn't really play games much, I was certainly familiar with the song. Hmmm, my grandfather has gone off the deep end. He could see the look in my eye, and explained that it helps Mario jump if you move your arms and legs........uhm, right. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. For the rest of that visit, my grandfather and I played Mario brothers at least once a day. And, yes, I picked up his foot kick and arm toss.
Yesterday while surfing around the "odd news" of the day I ran across an article about a 68 yr. old gamer grandmother. Immediately this memory came flooding back, so I had to check out the blog her grandson keeps. Check it out at Old Grandma Hardcore. Be sure to watch the movies!!!!!
My grandfather was truly young at heart...there is no question there. He and his wife traded in the RV that they had purchased after retirement and bought a Honda Goldwing with a sidecar. The sidecar was for my grandmother. He was afraid she would fall asleep on the back of the bike and fall off. They each had motorcycle jackets with patches that said "Recycled Teenager". I hope when I'm older the same holds true for me.
Saturday, December 31, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Yep, never lose your enthusiasm for life. I always try to think of life as a gift, and the hard parts are like the ooky vegetables, or are the way to get to more good parts.
What a great story! Inspirational for the New Year!
Post a Comment