Saturday, December 17, 2005

12 Cats a' Caroling

One of the benefits in my recent change of employment status is also a change in my status as an animal transport volunteer for the humane society.

Previously, I was limited to weekends...which meant that my opportunities were also limited. Really limited. Whether it was the fact it was on a weekend, the distance, or what needed a ride, I ended up getting the trips to the Sonoma Reptile Rescue. This might be quite cool if you like reptiles. I, however, do not. So I was delighted when I got the call on Thursday to take a couple of Katrina survivors (Garth and Savanaugh) to the VCA hospital in Winchester.

Yesterday I got the call that they needed someone to take 12 cats to Pets in Need in Redwood City today. But of course! We popped out the seats and loaded up the RAV with 12 kitty cages. Count 'em 12. I don't know if you've ever ridden in a car with a cat, but they typcially aren't real excited about the whole car ride thing. I was actually pretty surprised that there was not a single growler in the bunch, but there was a whole lot of howling going on. Let me just say with 1 cat, it can be a bit irritating....but, oddly enough, with 12 cats it's a bit comical. I can't really even begin to describe it. Thankfully my camera has video/sound capabilities, because that was a moment to capture!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I keep waiting for you to invite me to go to the Sonoma Reptile Rescue again.... Sigh.