Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Traditions

Christmas has come and gone, so I'm a little late getting this posted. I know that a few of you were curious, so the answer is yes, we still had presents under the tree. Cori showed amazing strength. Each day we would go thru this conversation at least once:
Want to open a Christmas present? No. Ok.
How someone can show so much restraint...and not even pick up the gifts under the tree let alone not shake them!

Anyway, this post is meant to be Christmas traditions.

New Traditions
This was our first "real" Christmas together, so we are in the process of working the whole tradition thing out. As you read earlier, cutting down the Christmas tree will certainly go on the list.

Cori's plan for making Christmas cookies for our human friends changed slightly. Instead she decided to make lemon bars (her mom's recipe). Unfortunately there was a bit of a problem with the first attempt (a "slight" error in the recipe...calling for flour when it should have been sugar). A 2nd attempt turned out yummy. She blogged the details on her site, so check that out if you'd like.

I did end up making some Christmas treats for our dog friends. Didn't get them done until Christmas Eve, but I don't think the dogs minded.

In my youth, we were allowed one present Christmas Eve, the rest were saved for Christmas day. This, of course, being before my habit of wanting to open things much much earlier. For Cori, everything was opened on Christmas Eve. This year we followed my old tradition. Next year, we'll go with hers.

If anyone is wondering: Of course we buy gifts for the animals!! And we let Gabby open them. Watching her open the gifts is pretty darn entertaining. So far none of them have bought us gifts, but that's ok. :0)

Christmas Eve we had a few friends over for potluck and then watch Elf and A Christmas Story (my two favorite Christmas movies). I watch Christmas Story several times each Christmas season.

Christmas day we went to see Rumor Has It. Cute movie, though probably would have made a good rental.

We also bought ornaments for each each of our friends. Each one picked out specifically for them. This is something that I would like to continue.

Other traditions I have had, and seem to continue:
The tree goes up early each year, with white lights and meaningful ornaments.
I buy Christmas cards and never send them. This year, though, I did actually get a few sent out.

Traditions of Christmas Long Ago
I was raised by my grandmother until she died of cancer when I was only 8...so I have one Christmas memory that I really have no way to confirm. Maybe time has altered it, maybe not, but I chose to believe. What is this memory you ask? Santa always had the same wrapping paper. Year after year it was the same stuff. Granted, when it was all said and done it was only a few years...but still impressive. I imagine a closet filled with several rolls of the same wrapping paper and smile. If I ever had kids, that was something I would want to do.

That's it...Merry (late) Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or insert your holiday here.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Cool. I love hearing about people's traditions. When I was little we had this countdown-to-Santa thing that my mom would tie butterscotch candies to. Every night for the weeks before Christmas, we'd get a candy before bed.

We did the "open one gift on Christmas Eve" thing when I was a kid too. We always chose the smallest thing under the tree.

Every year, my younger sister got a can of black olives in her stocking!