It appears that I am just as bad about updating my blog as I am about keeping in touch. I keep telling Cori that I'm on strike, waiting for others to update their blogs...although I think a strike is probably a bit more effective if you're more vocal about it. Oh well. I've decided to give in anyway.
I had a dentist appointment the other day. For those of you who know me fairly well, you know that the dentist is the last place I want to be. For those of you who don't know, here's a basic idea:
My dentist has on been know to prescribe valium for me to take starting the day before my appointment.
My hygenist says I'm her worst patient...ever.
I have to arrive a half hour before my appointment so that they can put me on nitrous, or as the assistant calls it "happy air", well in advance of doing any actual work.
My dentist jokes (or at least I hope it's a joke) that they have to use a gallon of novicaine on me.
They have yet to get a full set of x-rays for me, even when I'm thoroughly drugged.
Keep in mind that this is the same regardless of what is getting done. Yes, including cleanings.
The problem is that I have an incredibly strong gag reflex. My dentist and his staff are all very patient with me and incredibly understanding...even when I throw up on them while they get impressions (which just happened).
I'm in the process of getting an old crown removed, a root canal, and a new crown so I've been there a few times in the last couple of weeks. So he starts working, and the novicaine hasn't kicked in yet. I feel it...quite distinctly...tears start rolling from my eyes, my legs bend up, toes curl inside my shoes and I put a death grip on the arms of the dental chair. He says, "Can you feel that?" My reponse? "A little bit." Uh, yeah...what the hec is that?
As I think about it later I realize it wasn't just that one time. That seems to be my canned response every time I feel pain at the dentist's office. It tends to be a BIT more than "a little bit" but that's all I can manage to get out.
Is it because that's easier to say when half of your mouth is numb? No, I don't think so. Perhaps I don't want to appear weak? So not it. I think it's actually because I appreciate his patience so much that I don't want to hurt his feelings. Ok, seems silly now...but very logical when I'm under the nitrous.
I'm not even sure why I decided to share this...oh well.
Monday, August 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I feel your pain (not literally, but figuratively speaking) I think it's sweet of you to spare your dentist's feelings, but after throwing up on him, what really could be worse :)
I hope tigger doesnt go on strike again, I like her stories
Technically it wasn't the dentist, it was his assistant. :0/
Post a Comment