Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Yes, you too can convert your idle mind to a creative one


So, any guesses who I'm going as for Halloween? I went as Mario a couple of years ago. Loved the costume and so very easy. Thought I'd make a couple of enhancements this year.

Just in case you are curious:
Overalls from Sears
White "costume gloves" from the Spirit store
Moustache also from Spirit store (had to pick up some liquid latex because the only thing this "self adhesing" moustache stuck to was the packaging.
Red long sleeve t-shirt from Old Navy
The shoes are mine.
The hat (which requires a little more detail, see below)
The most "complicated" bit of this costume, and also the most improved over the last time around. When I did this before, I bought a painter's cap from Orchard. It was a plain cotton painter's cap with no writing. At some point, they decided to put their logo on. Bummer. I knew Home Depot does the same thing. So I decided to see what I could find somewhere else. I'm not a big painter, so I'm limited on knowing where to shop. I did, however, know that there are a couple of paint stores just down the road from me, so decided to check them out.

Did you know that paint stores will give you free painters caps if you ask nicely? Neither did I, but they do! Most are cheap paper hats, but one store actually had a baseball cap style that I was at first hesitant about, but ultimately used.

The logo was a problem, so I ventured into a fabric store (a very foreign land to me, but they have some cool things. I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, but I thought if anyone would have it, they would. I found some white iron on patches. This is also where I discovered the embroidered M. Perfect!! My last purchase there was something deemed floral paint. I had used regular spray paint before, and it didn't work quite the way I wanted. I thought if it's light enough for plants it may work better for me.

First I ironed the patch over the logo on the front of the hat. Spray painted the hat with the red floral paint (it took a couple of coats). While that dried I cut a circle from the second patch to put the M on. Once the hat was totally dry I carefully positioned the circle on the hat, covered it with a t-shirt and and applied the patch. You may not be able to put as much pressure on the patch with the iron, I did have the paint begin to discolor slightly. It takes a lmaneuveringvering to get it to work. Then put the M on and voila! A Mario hat.

The mushrooms I through in at the end. Just a little image from a magazine that I then recreated in Adobe Illustrator CS2.

No comments: