Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I'm still here...

It's been so busy lately I haven't had an opportunity to update...thought I'd do a quick post.

For those of you who I am sure are anxiously awaiting the results of the contest, soon.

Work is really, really busy. But I still like my team, even though I still get pretty lonely.

I FINALLY started my internship yesterday. 7 hours down, only 233 left to go. Yep, that's going to take forever.....

While in school, I met the founder of a rescue group called Pound Puppy Rescue. I've actually been doing a lot with them: photos, adoption counseling, and so on. Cori and I fostered a pup for all of a week. You really do forget how much work a young puppy can be if it's been a long time...which it has been for me (Kaycee was 6 months when I got her, well past the tough part). Freddie was his name (that's him in the picture). Sure, he's cute, but he had a systematic plan for killing us. First, he would drive us to the brink of insanty before bed. Followed ever so effectively by sleep deprivation, attacking at random intervals thru the night. I've never heard a dog SCREAM like he did, but that's exactly what he would do if he was in his pen or crate. I swear the neighbors must've thought we were beating him.

See, our (or I should say my) mistake was to try and do "the right thing" by getting him used to being in his pen while we watched tv and alone at night so that life would be easier for his new family. Apparently I made it too hard on myself and every member of this household. The cats literally disappeared during that week. They got as far to the other end of the house as possible and under the bed. The situation wasn't helped by the fact that he was a cattle dog mix that we could not wear out enough given our limited schedule (even with a friend AND our dog sitter coming by during the day).

We had a temporary foster over the last weekend while his other foster mom was out of town....he slept in bed with us....

About 3 weeks ago we had a local stray cat decide our carport was a lovely place to have kittens. Two of them. We've been feeding her every day since, plotting out how and when we're going to catch her and get her spayed. At the same time we'll have to get the kittens and foster/socialize them. It's been a while since I did that in SF, but hopefully we won't have them long. In the meantime I made her a bed out of a cardboard box and some jersey sheets. Somewhere the neighborhood cats have probably marked our house as the place to go, I'm sure of it. I've searched, but haven't found anything yet.

So that's the "quick" update. I really, really hope that I can do a better job keeping this updated. Sorry!

No comments: