
Tonight I spent the evening browsing around the internet and ran across this story about how ants find their way back home. Basically, the current theory at hand is that they count the number of steps. Ok, interesting little tidbit of information...but it was the creativity in which they proved and disproved other ideas that got my attention. Here's a little hint: stilts and blindfolds....
Yep, I said blindfolds. Apparently they found a way to blindfold the little guys to disprove the theory that they use visual clues to get around. So, I'm curious....exactly how does one go about putting a blindfold on an ant?
But wait, there's more!
To help prove the internal pedometer theory they glued stilt like extensions on some ants and cut off the feet and lower legs of others. While they were initially off the mark you'll be relieved to know (as I was) that their little internal pedometer adjusted to their new legs and they were able to find their way home again.


No comments:
Post a Comment