
For the sake of fairness, they'll each get five. I don't want want either of them to feel picked on or left out (as I know they both surf the internet when I'm gone). These are in no particular order, it's just how they came to mind.
- Kaycee It seems all dogs follow you to the restroom, perhaps thinking that they'll have a captive audience. Kaycee follows also, but does a drive by and goes straight to the tub and looks in. Apparently the tub has consistently passed her inspection because she turns around shortly after and leaves. I'm not sure I want to be around the day when whatever she's looking for is actually there.
- Gabby She may be a digger dog, but she likes her beard clean. Give her a Frosty Paws treat, or anything she might deem "messy" (vita-gravy, rice, so on) and she'll spend a good 15 minutes cleaning her beard. This consists mostly of her putting her face to the ground, couch, or her favorite washcloth (that would be our bedspread)...and dragging her face along the ground for a good 2-3 feet. This continues until she appears to be satisfied, but then her hair is a mess so......
- Gabby.....she has to primp. Not in the way that most dogs do. Noooo. She apparently thinks she's a cat. First she licks her paw, , then uses it to straighten out the hair on her face.
- Kaycee Is the only dog I've ever seen fall asleep while she begs. Persistent, yes. Effective? Not so much.
- Kacyee Likes to bury things...but who needs dirt? Not her! I've watched her "bury" a treat inside. She goes through the motions ok. Finds a spot, sets down her prize ever so gingerly...then proceeds to move invisible dirt to cover it. The good news is she's much better outside. Well, at least she moves actual dirt around. Key word being "around" instead of "over" the object.
- Gabby Really doesn't like getting wet. I took her to the beach once where she quickly discovered 2 things. 1) Sand is REALLY cool to dig in. 2) There's a lot of water, which she immediately ran away from. She walks by a sprinkler and not a drop will touch her, but she shakes as though she's just been hosed down. She's also not real keen on going outside in the rain, but I can't really say I blame her on that one.
- Gabby She looooooves attention, but gets a little pissy if she doesn't get it. While Cori and I are sitting on the couch watching television she will go back and forth between us, seeing what she can get. If neither of us respond to her in the way she wants, she jumps off the couch with a huff as her exclamation point. Shortly after we will hear her digginng on her own little couch (yes, she has her own couch). At first I thought maybe she was trying to fluff it up. I have since begun to suspect it's simply to make a lot of noise to interupt our television watching. Either way, her couch has been dubbed "The Pouty Couch" as that appears to be the ONLY time she actually uses it. But it looks cute.
- Gabby (This is a little gross) She has a thing for ear "stuff". She'll lay there, scratch the inside of her ear and then proceed to lick her foot. I don't think "scratch" really gets it across, though. It's more of a digging/rubbing the inside of her ear complete with groans and grumbles for at least 20-30 seconds and THEN licks her paw. She'll repeat this cycle over and over...usually until we just can't handle it anymore and tell her to stop!
- Kaycee No one can say she's not food motivated. The fastest trick (by far) that she learned was how to get treats out of a little gumball looking treat dispenser that I had purchased for Gabby many, many years ago. Gabby either didn't quite get the hang of it or, more likely, it was beneath her to serve herself. Kaycee figured it out in literally 5 minutes. Now Gabby will position herself next to it. You can almost hear the words "Don't just sit there, serve me fool" as she stares at Kaycee. You would think that we starve Kaycee by the way she sucks up every morsel of food in the house, including Gabby's food, the cat food, even vegetables that we offer just to see if there's anything that she'll spit out. So far the only food to fail the test has been celery.
- Kaycee We have a little game that we would play with Gabby that Kaycee picked up on. Well, sort of. We like to call the game "Hello?". You know, the kind of hello that's followed by a who is it (and sometimes is during our game). It's a simple game, really. We say it and they bark. In this game Gabby runs to the front door or at least looks in that general direction if she's too comfortable to move. Kaycee, on the other hand, runs to the back door. No one has ever come to the back door before, at least not that I'm aware of.........
The list really could go on and on, but I think we'll just leave it at that :0)


3 comments:
my mother's doxie (and my doxie by proxie) will hide her treats. you can usually find them buried in the cushions of the couch. but she hides them so that when someome comes to visit she can offer them a treat. she will bring it out and lay it at your feet and look at you very pleadingly until you say "oh, no, i couldn't! you go ahead." and then she will eat it. it's very strange but very entertaining.
Well, she's a proper lady isn't she? That's great!
This is a great post. (I may borrow the idea). You really learn when living with multiple dogs that they certainly do have distinct personalities and idiosyncracies.
Post a Comment