Friday, July 14, 2006

Lonely Lunch

Ok, so this isn't the post that some of you are waiting for. I will update this weekend regarding the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Also, check back this weekend for some of the name suggestions I am pondering for my biz (no, I didn't forget).

I'm spending another lunch at my desk. I came to the realization the other day that this is the first job/position I've had...EVER...in which I am not friends with at least one person I work with, or who at least works on my floor.

Let me clarify a couple of things here. I am not a total recluse, I do have friends here at work. They're just in different towers or several floors. Makes the spontaneous lunch difficult at best, it has to be planned ahead.

That's also not to say that the people I work with aren't friendly. They are all very nice people. I just don't seem to fit in very well, in a few ways actually. Several are a bit older than me. I don't get the impression that we like the same things. And I come in wearing shorts, with tattoos and my eyebrow piercing (most of them wear dress pants and nice shirts - even in this ridiculously hot weather). I'm just a little different.

I think it's a bit more difficult for me considering that I have previously been the "Julie McCoy" of my team. When's everyone's birthday? Let's do a group lunch. Let's do a group activity together (bocci ball, movie, so on). Yes, I know I could try to make an effort myself. Get out there instead of waiting for someone to come to me, but I'm too shy for that ;0/ Yeah, you heard me. I said shy.

Oh well. Gives me time to update my blog with meaningless mumblings.

No comments: