Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I think my electronics are sensitive...

...and not in the way you might think.

A few months ago I decided to buy a new camera. If you ask me it was because I "needed" one; or at least I needed a point and shoot with an optical zoom greater than 3x and preferably more than 4 mega pixels. Needed. Really. True, my other Canon point and shoot (s410) was a dutiful little camera. A workhorse if you will...and never gave me an ounce of trouble...that is until I came home with a new camera.

As is typically the case, I had shot a lot of pictures that week with the 410 (most of Gabby for those that are curious) and was just browsing thru cameras at Circuit City when I saw the one. What? A point and shoot with a 10x optical zoom? Reeeeeeaally. Oh, I must have it. So I bought it.

The next morning we were going somewhere, can't say that I remember where, but it's really not important to the story. I go to grab the new camera and then I realized OOOoops. I was so enthralled with reading the manual when we got home that I totally forgot to charge the batteries. Bummer. Oh, well, good thing I have "ol' faithful". So I grab the 410. We swing by Starbucks for Cori and I waited in the car and decided to take pictures of things in the car. Yeah, it's something I like to do. When to my horror I realized that my camera that I had depended on for so long no longer focused!!!!! OMG! How could it be? I had never had a problem before! So I was sans camera for whatever it was we did that day...although I did turn on the old camera several times just in case it might suddenly start working again. It didn't. It still hasn't....I still try now and again, unable to let it go.

That whole experience was weird, but, after several days of debating whether my old camera had felt betrayed, I ultimately chalked it up to coincidence.

So anyway, fast forward a few months to last week. Now, before you say "shame on you" let me be proactive and say I know you should always keep some sort of backup of important files, pictures, etc just in case something goes wrong with your hard drive. But after several years of not having a backup and nothing going wrong (at least with personal computers), I was feeling ok. Then, for whatever reason, I decided last week that I really should have stuff backed up on an external drive. I decided on a drive and saw that Costco has a coupon for it the week of June 16th. Cool, I'll get it then.

Skip a little further forward to today. The ol' iMac is running a little slow. Hmm, ok, I'll reboot and see if that does anything. Ok, great. Now it won't boot up. Let's boot up from a disk and try and repair. Nope that fails to. Ok, put it in Target mode, other computers don't see it. Long story short and minus a few other details regarding failed attempts I have come to terms with the fact that my system is hosed. Maybe Disk Warrior will fix it, but I have to spend $100 just to find out. Otherwise I'll be shelling out a lot more money to retrieve the data as that iMac has, oh, just about everything that is important to me!

Now, I'm thinking that my original analysis of the camera situation was in fact a question of betrayal. And the most recent situation? I think my iMac thought I didn't trust it, so it's throwing a fit. That, or somewhere in my subconscious I know things are going to go wrong (driving the uncontrollable desire to shop).

Either way, it's creepy. And a little irritating.......

No comments: